Friday 25 May 2012

WEEK 10

Monday was a bit of a nothing day.  Gym workout, catching up on news back in Aus, lunch, shopping and a home cooked meal.

Tuesday after Anna finished school, we went to visit the Palazzo Medici-Riccardi, the Medici's family townhouse designed by Michelozzo in 1444.  The Medici's lived there until 1540, making way for the Riccardi family.



The courtyard, garden, dining room, living room, bedrooms etc. were all quite interesting, however the main reason that people visit is for the upstairs chapel 'Cappella dei Maggi'.  It is a small room that houses one of the supreme achievements of Renaissance painting, with all four walls covered in frescoes by Benozzo Bozzoli between 1459-1463.  Unfortunately not even I was able to sneak a picture.


We then went to Marione for a panini and coffee, then a bit of shopping and then back home to do some planning for the weeks ahead and then out to dinner at Acqua al' 2.


We stopped by Note Di Vino on the way home for the best coffee's in Florence.  The guy was very happy when I told him that and impressed that I was able to tell him in Italian!


getting harassed by another immigrant 
The next morning I got out of bed earlier than usual (8:30am) and went off to the gym so that I could then go and visit the Museo di San Marco before it closed at lunchtime.

The museum used to be a monastery and convent and on the second floor there are 44 monastic cells, many of which reveal snippets of religious paintings by the Tuscan-born friar, Fra' Angelico.  They were completed in 1440-1441 with deeply devotional frescoes to guide the meditation of his fellow friars.



Cosimo I Medici's personal cell


That afternoon while Anna went to the gym, I visited the opening of the Florence Gelato Festival.  What a great idea!!

Although the festival was situated in many Piazza's around Florence, the best area was in front of the Church of Santa Maria Novella.  There were so many weird and wacky flavours to choose from, I was in heaven!

white/pink chocolate chip with hazelnuts
American chocolate muffin
chocolate passionfruit
There was also an art gallery there with many photographs from the olden days depicting ice-cream in Italy.





Once Anna got home I told her all about the FGF so of course we had to go back there that night after dinner!

pecan nuts and canadian maple syrup

Word also got out to the other girls, and soon it was a big affair!


Thursday morning we got the fold out couch ready as Jules Martin was coming to visit for two weeks.  I made up the bed just like a hotel would, complete with towel, soap and a baci chocolate!


I wasn't exactly sure what time Jules was going to arrive, so to pass the time, I went and sunbaked at my favourite spot.


Unfortunately the carabinieri came along and didn't appreciate my efforts to get a tan, so after a solid 2 hours I had to find a new spot.


Jules finally arrived around 6pm that night.  I picked him up from the train station and brought him pack to the apartment, it was great to see a friendly face.


As soon as I mentioned the Gelato Festival, Jules' eyes lit up like he'd just backed another winner at the TAB.  We went out for aperitivo at Colle Beretto and then to the FGF for more ice-cream!



Jules was pretty knackered, so we didn't expend too much energy that night as I had plenty in store for him over the coming days!

No comments:

Post a Comment